Wednesday 12 December 2007

5 more guitar tracks

I had a thought recently to revisit my list of 5 songs that were big influences on me guitarwise, mainly because the list, as presented, seemed to have shredded my indie credibility.

Plus I was stuck in a 2 day OH&S seminar. Bleah. Snore. Bleah.

So here's another list that will hopefully enhance my coolness:

The Stone Roses: She Bangs the Drum. The guitar work always sounds like 2 guitars when it's usually just one. Plus a cool bass riff as well.

The Smiths: This Charming Man. Run that intro a few times. Amazing - I can remember being so frustrated trying to learn it. Must be why I hate Morrissey.

Lloyd Cole & the Commotions: Lost Weekend: In fact, all of 'Easy Pieces' is pretty cool to play along with. The last few seconds of the video is a reminder why skinny Englishmen should not dance.

Matthew Sweet: Sick of Myself. The riff is one that I almost always play when I pick up a guitar.

James: Born of Frustration. Not a real 'guitar-y' track but a cool riff nonetheless. Anyway, it was either this or 'Linger' by the Cranberries and I like this song more. I don't know why the radio stations play 'Laid' and not this song.

2 comments:

Blandwagon said...

I have heard of all these bands, therefore they cannot have cred. Only bands that no one has ever heard of can have cred. When compiling my own lists, I find it's easiest just to make them up.

Also, there are plenty of reasons to hate Morrisey - why stop at one?

2BarRiff said...

Sometimes one has to compromise - but I also need bands that have some fanbase so that I have a Youtube video to link to.

And anyway, in the circles I moved in from mid-80s to late 90s, these bands WERE considered indie.

Plus - judging from your comment, even Stevie Wonder doesn't have cred. (Catch the Making of 'Songs in the Key of Life' last night? GOLD!)