Tuesday 5 June 2007

It's arrived!!!

Yes my Kambrook 4.2 litre slow cooker is here. My amazing Sister-in-law introduced me to her slow cooker and it was love at first sight! My Brother who is married to said Sister-in-law works for an appliance retailer and offered to get one for me. Imagine my glee when they said 'you chuck in all the ingredients in the morning, turn it on to auto and your dinner is cooked 6 to 8 hours later or overnight without you.' I had to have one. Anything that helps get me through feral hour (5.00pm to 6.00pm) is a blessing. If I don't have to be occupied with making dinner I can concentrate on separating two tired and whiny children. Great!!

The slow cooker has sparked 2BarRiffs interest in cooking as well. We attempted a whole chicken in a delightful sauce. We only had 4 hours in which to cook so 2BarRiff made the sauce and I got to skin (or abuse) the chicken. Set it on to cook about 1pm and by 5.30pm it was done. Our kitten was entranced by the smell as we all were. The chicken was served with mashed potato, beans, carrots and Yorkshire puddings. (The Yorkshire puddings are 2BarRiffs favourite and since I had extra time on my hand I made 12. All were devoured!) The chicken was delicious! The meat fell off the bones and was so moist. Just Gorgeous! Can't wait to try out other recipes.

2 comments:

2BarRiff said...

I can concur with everything said. It was easy and delish to prepare. Next step will need to be something stew-y - I note that there are veal shanks in the freezer for an attempt at Osso Bucco.

Maybe pictures next time.

Also, the Yorkshire puddings are done in a muffin tray, hence the large number. Traditionally they are done cake size - we do not eat 12 of them in one sitting.

I would try, though.

2BarRiff said...

Another addition: I like the idea of the slow cooker as it would be a way to get more vegetables into our diet.