Monday 10 September 2007

Why I like my Depression

Having depression is mostly, but not completely, bad. And stupid, really stupid - in fact I've just spent about an hour drafting an entry entitled 'Depression is Stupid' but I think it needs more work so you can't read it yet :-P

Since I will feel bad if I don't post something tonight... one of the writing techniques I've become acquainted with revolves around absurdities. By trying to come up with a list of obviously ridiculous reasons for something (eg why crocodiles make good pets), you get your creative and subconscious juices (mmm .... subconscious juices) flowing. Also Icy did inspire this as well.

So here are 4 reasons why I like my depression (not your depression, my depression. I don't like your depression AT ALL!)
  1. The fight. Something big is happening in my life. I feel like I'm in a battle for my life and that beats an in-tray full of accounting any day of the week.
  2. The melancholy. In the past, I've always had a preference for the melancholy over the, ah, un-melancholy. I've preferred quiet people to loud people, colder days to hotter days, minor chords to major chords. Must be why I hate clowns.
  3. Honesty. The self examination has made me be a more honest person, because that's the only way that I can see myself getting better.
  4. Quality of life. I'm trying more things as a way of combating the inertia that depression brings.
I was going for 5 but 4 will do. Maybe number 5 can be "I can accept my failings". Yeah! That'll do.

No comments: